Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Soap Making

Edited to add: I now only have 1 spot available

Hello everyone, I have been in contact with Amanda Tarjan, homeschooling mom from Kelowna and she has agreed to come and do a soap making workshop here in Vernon. We will have the introductory one on Oct 3 at 1pm and the intermediate, October 17 at 1pm. This workshop is for adults and children over the age of 10. Children under the age of 13 must be accompanied by an adult to help with the very caustic lye. The workshops will be at my house. We need 5 people to do it and I already have 3. You will need to commit to both workshops. Please contact me right away if you are interested. If there is enough interest, I am happy to organize more groups.

Andrea at agordon-smith@shaw.ca or 250-503-5416


Here is Amanda's information:


"Hello All

I wanted to let everyone know that I will be giving classes on how to make cold process bar soap. This is real soap which is made with the chemical process when oil and lye combine and saponify to make a new substance- soap. My recipe is all natural and vegan. I use only essential oils and natural colorants. No fragrances or dyes. It is very gentle on the skin and smells lovely. You can even add ingredients to make it exfoliate.

There will be 2 classes:

#1- Beginners class:
I demonstrate how to make soap. Students will observe the process and be free to ask questions. Afterwards, the students will take home 3 bars of my already cured soap, the recipe, and all instructional papers.
Time- October 3, 1pm for 2 hours or so.
Cost- $40 per student
Class size- 5 students
Location- Andrea's house, 9005 Rendell Dr, Coldstream

#2 Intermediate class:
The students purchase the equipment and supplies prior to class and we make the soap together in class. I will provide guidance and help as you make it yourself. Students will take home about 20 bars worth of their soap and a better understanding of the process. If you prefer, I can provide the ingredients for the recipe to you for an additional $25 and you can still make a batch in class. Equipment is cheap to purchase at a thrift store.
Time- October 17, 1pm for 2 1/2 hours or so
Cost- $40 per student
Class size- 5 students (but we will need a portable burner/hot plate anybody have one?)
Location- Andrea's house, 9005 Rendell Dr., Coldstream, BC

Other Information of Note:
-The classes are meant for teenagers or adults as we will be using lye which is a very dangerous and acidic chemical. Please wear long sleeves, eye protection, and gloves for either class to prevent injury.
-The classes will be in the evening on Monday, Tuesday or Thursday at 6:30 pm.
-The class dates and locations will be firmly booked once I have a full class of students and a general consensus of what is most convenient for the students.
-Taking the beginner class first is recommended for all who would like to make the soap. Then you will have the background to come prepared for the advanced class.

***For those uninterested in making soap, but you still appreciate the product, I also have my soap available to purchase. It is $4 a bar. I currently have cinnamon, lavender, peppermint, and lemongrass cured and ready to go.***

No comments: