Sunday, February 15, 2009

Discussion

I have been asked by Murray Sasges who currently teaches the Global Education program at Fulton School if he could discuss an alternate educational program(Grades 9-11) that he will be starting in the next couple of years. He has been given the okay by the school district to start an alternative program that focuses on social responsibility and  would include  involvement in the community, overseas NGO-type volunteer work and wouldn't be in a traditional classroom setting. Okanagan College is also hoping to develop a program that would continue with a post secondary college program for these students. 
He would like get feedback from parents on this type of program. 
I'm not sure if our regular meeting would be the right venue but would anyone be interested in meeting him at another time. He is a really creative teacher who thinks outside the box  and has done some very interesting things with his students (he takes his students to Nicaragua to work in an orphanage, gets his students to be involved in the community by volunteering  at Upper Room Mission, Good Food Box program, working with street nurses and helping develop Vernon's Official Community Plan to name a few).

9 comments:

Andrea said...

I certainly be interested... although I wish he had his program NOW!

Mary-Sue said...

That sounds so intriguing! I'd love to meet with him.

Kathy said...

I would be interested in talking with him as well.

Amanda said...

That sounds really interesting to me. I'd love to talk with him.

ange said...

Count me in too!

Unknown said...

I would like to meet him as well.

Anonymous said...

I would be very interested in learning more about what it may look like. Unfortunately I am only available fri,sat or sun evenings or during the day.

Ms. M said...

I think this idea sounds great and would be interested in learning more about it - possibly meeting as well (I'm also restricted on when I can come into town, but I could try).

julie said...

I'd lke to learn more about it, too.