Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Wheels for Change

Hi Gang,

So the Wheels For Change campaign is coming through Vernon on Sunday, July 8. The gang is looking for people to help organize the Vernon event, and here's how I think we can help:

The plan so far is for a bike ride around Vernon from 5 to 6 pm, followed by a potluck dinner in Polson Park and then a few speeches (Mayor etc.) and then music.

What they will need is people to join them for the potluck and to bring enough food to feed themselves and the cyclists. So I thought maybe a group of us can do this too - bring a few dishes to share with the cyclists. I think there will be a table set up for food and everyone will sit on their blankets and eat. It wouldn't be just us - there would hopefully be a lot of people. The irony is that the Vernon event is the least organized so far and has the fewest volunteers - weird considering this whole grassroots thing is starting in Vernon. Anyway, I'm hoping some of you will be interested in coming out to support the cyclists with food and company and positive energy. Let me know if you are interested in joining in. I am planning to try to join the ride from Vernon to Armstrong the next day and then again around Falkland when they pass through (I'm organizing their stay in Falkland). If you want to ride some of the way, you can register at www.wheelsforchange.ca. The ride starts in Nelson and ends in Victoria. I just wrote a new post in my blog too, about climate change if you're interested in reading it: www.dragonflywarrior.blogspot.com. I know that many of us are pretty concerned about environmental issues and this seems like a great way to show support. There is also a showing of a couple of movies on Thursday night, May 24, Schubert centre, 7 pm - they are supposed to be very good, not too long, about climate change. One features Cameron Diaz I hear.

No comments: