Sunday, November 2, 2008

It was nice to meet many of you at the meeting. Good topic and helpful comments/suggestions...
Are the meetings scheduled for the last Thursday of each month? Is there a back-up phone contact list?
Since I'm new in town I wonder if anyone could help me with contacts for raw milk, free-range eggs, and chickens(to eat) to buy? I've tried Naomi's Birdsong Farm in Enderby (raw milk) with no luck with e-mail or phone number... And for eggs I've tried the Farmers Market but am not sure they are free-range as they are selling so many dozens....
Some other ideas I have which I have e-mailed GVRC on are skillastics: www.skillastics.com - non-competitive, physically challenging which kids play a board game ..... Mission HS (everybody group) got it offered this fall and I thought it would be good to try? fyi
Are there any meet at the park days arranged?
I'm going to give Jill's no knead bread recipe a try. I'm excited because there is no sugar or honey in it.
Cheers,
Delia

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Hi Delia,
Yes, our meetings are the last Thursday of the month. And no there isn't really a back up phone list. Feel free to make one if you like. You might ask Monique about raw milk. I think she has a source. There are quite a few sources for free range eggs. I have chickens and often have enough to sell. They are free range and I feed them organic food. It is pretty hard to find organic free range chicken to eat since the change in regulations. Nature's Fare has some but it is very expensive (around $5 per pound). Ritter's Sausage sometimes has some as well but I am not sure of the price.

Ms. M said...

Yes, she has some at Ritters (free range chickens for eating) and for the raw milk - try Naomi again. She is only on-line on Tuesdays as she goes to the library to use the internet - and if you keep phoning you will get someone (it's a homeschooling family with 8 kids, of which Naomi is the eldest).

There are no specific h/s events such as you described that I know of - but there are many such things offered as community events. I have found that participating in the local community events meets our needs quite beautifully. If you make a habit of looking through the paper you will find things. I found that it took quite a while to learn what was available in my community -but well worth the effort.

Delia said...

Yes, I see oodles of things to do in Vernon....and getting anxious about doing enough.... as my mom is asking about the things I'm doing (socializing events etc...) and my sister has her child in French Immersion, soccer etc.... Not the way I do things...
So you find Falkland community events suits you well... I'm looking to find the right community for us as we would like to buy a hobby farm either Armstrong, Lumby or Falkland, Enderby (might be too far) ...any suggestions (things to consider) for helping figure it out... I know some areas have cheaper real estate....

Ms. M said...

Armstrong is astronomical for prices - that's why we aren't there (that's where I grew up and where my family lives). Enderby is not far - just 15 min past Armstrong. It's nice in all those areas.

Remember what Eleonore Roosevelt said: "No one can make me feel inadequate without my permission." You could insert the word "pressured" or whatever in there as well. I have learned to not allow anyone else's expectations of what we "should" be doing to colour my life - it's just a recipe for misery. Maybe while you adjust to a new life it's ok to just do nothing? I personally love doing nothing as much as possible. It enriches my life to slow down and allow for "flow".