Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Resources from our Feb. 7 meeting

Hi, so I said I would give you the info on the free on-line audio stories: http://www.homeschoolradioshows.com/
You sign up and get one free story a week - it's the old radio shows and some are pretty cool. I just play them on the computer and the boys sit in my office and listen to them.

The other resource I wanted to mention is a book called Keeping A Nature Journal. It's available at Amazon.ca and I've heard really great things about it - for introducing people of all ages to observing and recording nature. I have ordered it so can bring it to the next meeting.

And - here are some books for kids that are about philosophy/our place in the cosmos - that sort of thing. I haven't read them yet but many are in our library:
Old Turtle (there are a couple, the first is not in the library YET - I'm requesting they buy it, but they have one of the other...Old Turtle and the Broken Promise I think
All I See is Part of Me - Chara Curtis
The Three Questions - Jon Muth
Zen Shorts - Jon Muth
The Jupiter Stone

it was great to see you all - great conversation!! AND - I do think the work-bee idea for house cleaning is great - especially for those of you who are going to be moving - we ought to come and help you clean either your old house or your new house or both!

2 comments:

Heather said...

All I See Is Part of Me is a fantastic book and I love the illustrations. We bought this a few years ago at the library sale. Thanks for the list of books - will go see if I can order them from the library.

Mary-Sue said...

Thanks for this, Monique! Another book we love is called "Mother Earth" by Nancy Luenn. It doesn't have many words, but the pictures describe the gifts from the great mother and gives us a sense of what we can do to give back. "When the Wind Stops" by Charlotte Zolotow is lovely and thought provoking too. There are so many wonderful books, aren't there? I could go on and on...
"When The Moon is Full" by Mary Azarian is on my wishlist.